Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
So here's where I ask for your advice.

I didn't make much progress from last week to this one. At my appointment today, I was 1 cm dilated, still 75% effaced. Cervix is soft and baby is very low. All good things, just not much in the way of change.

So, now I have a few options:

1. Wait to see what happens and let baby come on his own time.
2. Induce on Thursday. I'd be 40 weeks, 5 days.
3. Induce next Monday. I'd be 41 weeks, 2 days.

My doctor doesn't have any problem with induction. She says it's safer to deliver by around 41 weeks. I don't have any issues with using pain meds, so the stronger contractions in an induction aren't a concern for me. My doctor also says that she thinks I'd respond favorably to induction, since my body is already progressing some on its own. She doesn't think I am at any greater risk for a c-section, whether I would induce on Thursday or Monday (assuming he didn't come on his own).

I just don't know what to do. Timing-wise, I'd selfishly like to do Thursday because it fits our schedules better. But I don't know if we are rushing things too much. I also can't tell if the nagging feeling of nervousness I have right now, is just me being nervous about labor in general (the whole "this is really about to happen!" feeling) or if I am just uncomfortable about inducing Thursday and should postpone it. I really can't distinguish what I am feeling.

I'd appreciate your opinions on this. Many of you have been in this boat before, so please share your thoughts. Thanks :)


Blogger Michelle said...

Okay, this isn't assvice just my experience.

I was induced at 40 weeks 2 days with my now 7 year old. I went into labor on my own at 41 weeks 2 days with my now 5 year old. The induced labor went much faster (7 hours) and was less painful, I took no drugs. The going into labor on my own took (much) longer but the epidural was awesome.

In the long run the outcome was the same and yours will be too, a beautiful baby. Whatever you decide, you will be a great mom, your love for this baby can be seen in the pics you provide and the words that you type.

Anonymous alyndabear said...

Yikes. I haven't had any experience in this at all, but this is my two cents - ultimately, the decision is up to you and hubby. Just do what feels right.

I would hold out for the inducing date of the Monday - 41wk date. That way, baby might progess on his own before then and if not, you've got your induction all ready.

Is there any way of making a pre-Monday appointment (but later than Thursday) in case you have a change of heart? Just curious.


Blogger Melissa said...

With an induction, you are hooked up to an IV from the get-go and cannot eat/drink anything, whereas if you are in early labor at home you can walk around outside if you want, have a snack, wear normal clothes, etc.

I went into labor on my own at 41 weeks and 4 days. (My induction had actually been scheduled for the following morning.) I was 4cm and 100% effaced when I arrived at the hospital, but stopped making progress at 5cm shortly thereafter. After doing the "wait and see" thing for a couple hours, my doctor started me on Pitocin, and Oliver was born 5 hours later. However my epidural did not work and the contractions after they started Pitocin were unbelievably painful. That is not most people's experience though, from what I've read/heard.

So, even after going into labor on my own, I needed a little help. My labor and delivery did not go as I'd imagined or hoped, but looking back, I wouldn't change my decision to wait the extra few days and let Oliver pick his own birthday. :) (Next time around I actually plan to just estimate my due date at 41 weeks and a couple days, and I'll tell everyone else that date too to cut down on the extra days of annoying "any baby yet?" phone calls!!!)

The most helpful things I can say to you are: every woman's experience is TOTALLY different, and no matter what you choose, you will do great and so will that little guy in your belly. As Michelle said, "the outcome is the same: a beautiful baby." :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I just happen to come across your blog tonight so i suppose my experience is called for. My last child, now 9 years old, was to be induced. Not something i wanted to do. I don't remember all the details. I was at my due date with absolutely no sign at all of her making her way out. I was a little freaked out by some of the induced labor stories i had heard and was not up for an epidural. I knew there were some "natural" ways to bring on labor. I contacted a friend in the field of Holistic Health and received some tips on an herb to use and some pressure points in the feet and on the hip areas to assist in bringing on labor. One day after following the suggestions i started having what i thought were just more braxton hicks. After an hour i realized this was it! Just a few hours later my baby girl was born. You can get in contact with a midwife, reflexologist, or an acupuncturist for suggestions. How ever it works out will be perfect for you and your baby. If you want more info e-mail me at allinonehealing@hotmail. Good luck!

Blogger Kellie said...

I was admitted 2 days after my due date due to my placenta starting to shut down. I wasn't making progress like you (hadn't even dilated yet) so, they gave me pills in a not so fun place to soften my cervix. A day and a half later, they induced me with Pitocin. I was in labor from 8am until 5:00 pm and my epidurals (yes, plural!) didn't work. My contractions were HORRIBLE!! I ended up having an emergency C-section.

But.....BUT....different factors for me. Your body's already started the process so, induction would most likely be fine for you.

What the hell IS my point?? I really don't know. You do what you feel is best...if it's Thursday due to it working better schedule-wise with you guys, than do it. It may be the last time your schedule goes the way you want it for a bit :)

If you hold out for the 41wk date, as someone else said, he may have made more progress on his own.

I'm sorry this comment is such a rambling piece o' poopie. I should just shut my trap now.

Regardless of what you and Jason decide: you've done an AMAZING job cooking your boy. I'm so excited to see the "He's Here!" post and to see pictures of his newborn yummy-ness and to find out what his name is!

Good luck,'ll be just fine :)

Blogger Liz said...

Okay, I feel less like this is assvice now. But my experience was an induction and I labored for 24 hours and pushed for 3 and wound up with a c-section. I was just too tired.

Ultimately, as others have said, the decision is up to you and your hubby. And no matter what you do, you'll still have your baby boy.

If you're not dying with discomfort, as I was, I say wait it out a bit. Schedule the induction for the end of next week and see what happens between now and then--give your body a chance to do what it was born to do.

With the induction, it's very medicalized. Once you have the cervidil, you will be in bed. You may be able to walk around some--but remember that cervidil doesn't always work (it's a cervix ripener)--it didn't for me. But once that pitocin is in, you're hooked up to tubes and you will not be able to do anything but lie there. You will not get to choose a position in which to labor in, you will not get to get up and walk around, you will not get to have water or popsicles or anything. You will just lie there on your back and labor.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd choose to wait and see. I feel like a wimp and inpatient that I BEGGED my ob to induce. I believe my words were "taking this f*cking baby out!" Henry was measuring about 9 lbs at 39 weeks, so his size was a major concern for us. Turns out that he was smaller, much smaller: 8 lbs, 2 oz at 40 weeks.

Good luck, Kelly! The Internets are pulling for you!

Blogger cubmommy said...

Came by via Miss Zoot. Have you tried walking. It seems that you are favorable and walking does help start contractions. This worked for my second baby.

Maybe induction won't be so bad. You have all ready started dilating you might go faster.

I am pregnant with my third and so ready to give birth I would take induction now. I have 3 weeks to go though.

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy delivery!

Blogger Happy Working Mom said...

I have always been induced. My first pregnancy I was HUGE (swollen) and my doctor felt bad for me and induced 4 days before my due date. It's a good thing she did, my daughter was 9 lbs. 2 oz. The labor was great, induced at 10:00 the night before, got an epidural right after they broke my water (I think around 3:00 in the morning) and had her around 1:00 the next day with only about 20 minutes of pushing.

Since she was so big my doctor insisted on inducing me two weeks early with my son. Good thing, he was 8 lbs. 15 oz. at two weeks early. Again, very easy, and this time only 5 hours. I always get an epidural so it's not like I'm doing any of the natural labor stuff anyway (walking to progress labor, etc.) So being hooked up to an IV is no big deal for me.

I'm a planner, so inductions are always my preference! I say get induced as soon as possible so that you can meet your little guy! And you never know how big he is (my doctor estimated my daughter was 7 1/2 lbs. Was she ever wrong!).

Blogger Lizarita said...

Thursday. GO with Thursday. Things go so much smoother and you are so much calmer when it's planned and organized and you aren't rushing around like crazy people. Promise. Induced labor is faster, less painful, and WAY more less stress involved. I've done this TWICE. Trust me.
Either way, though? The outcome is a baby. Good luck, sister!

Blogger Jennifer said...

I was induced twice, both with an epidural.

No troubles with either inductions.

As far as when...that's up to you!

Walk, have sex, stimulate your nips, repeat!

Blogger Rachel said...

I went into labor on my own with my first and was induced with my second a month early (I was contracting already but no change in my cervix). The labor was no different with either as far as pain went.

It went faster with my first (about 3ish hours). My second was around 16 hours, but I never dialated so that obviously makes a difference.

The plus side of waiting is the excitement and also that you don't have to be immediately hooked to an IV. You stay at home and be comfortable during the early stages and then go to the hospital.

But, planning around your schedules is definitely easier. One other thing to remember is (at least it's the way it is here) that just because they say "be here at 5am for an induction" does NOT mean you will immediately get a room. Anyone that comes in in active labor or is sent from their doctor's office takes precedence.

Good luck with your decision!

Blogger L Sass said...

Well, I am useless in the personal experience category. So, I will just encourage you to make the decision that feels right for you--even if it is based on convenient scheduling!--and know that you're doing the right thing by your son. No matter which decision you make, you are going to be a mommy! And SOON!

Blogger Silly Hily said...

I have two babies. I went into labor on my own with the first one and was induced with the second one. If I ever have the option to be induced, I will be induced because for me, that early labor, where you are having conctractions but aren't dilated enough to be admitted to the hospital? It sucked! And it hurt. But I'm a wussy and that's just me. I say I will be induced though b/c I've already gone on my own and have had it both ways. If you think you might regret being induced then don't do it. If you are just ready to have this baby, then do it. You and Jason have to make this decision. Either way, you'll be fine and so will the baby. If your doctor didn't think he was ready, she wouldn't have offered to induce you.

Blogger CPA Mom said...

Just to tell you about my two, if that helps you make a decision. First baby, went into labor at 40 weeks, 1 day. Ended up in labor 19 hours before he arrived, 8 lbs, 9 oz. Epidural worked great.

2nd baby, she was getting big - I had about 4 ultrasounds before we induced at 38 weeks (the earliest the doctor would induce). Only 4 hours of labor but it hurt a LOT! Epidural did not work and pitocin labor pains are much worse than natural. 10 lbs, 3 oz (two weeks early).

If I was in your shoes, I'd induce. Much shorter labor!

Blogger Isabel said...

I can't tell you what to do. I can only share what I did.

I was induced at 8 days past my due date. The baby ended up getting stuck and having to be removed via c-section because he was SO HUGE. It might have been better for me to delivery earlier so that he wouldn't have been growing all that time!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Blogger Liz said...

Wait a minute. Thursday?


Blogger Alison said...

If I were in your shoes (which I pretty much am) I would wait. But I can CERTAINLY understand why you would want it over as soon as possible. Either way if you trust your doctor I'm sure together you can make a good decision. Good luck. We're all thinking of you!

Blogger Jennifer said...

wow... you may have already made your decision since it's late on Wednesday already, but here's my experience (not sure if it will help you at all but here ya go!)

I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks, and went to the hospital a little bit earlier than I should have (thanks to the dr that morning telling me I was 4cm when I was actually more like 2 according to the dr at the hospital.. whatever!) I had steady contractions for about 12 hours, but they slowed down by morning... so they gave me Pitocin and an hour later broke my water. The contractions got pretty bad, but I've only done this once so I have nothing to compare it to- was it the Pitocin or just normal? Either way, the epidural was much appreciated after a few hours :)

Like a few others have said: every woman is totally different. I really think that you could DO the same thing to 2 different women (induce on the same day at the same point in pregnancy, etc) and things would end up completely different. Everyone responds in unique ways so there's no way to know.

Whatever you decide, the baby is coming soon!!!! YAY! :)

Post a Comment

<< Home