Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker
Friday, November 10, 2006
Trying Times
I'm having a pretty hard time holding myself together right now. Yesterday my grandmother (I call her MomMom) suffered a massive heart attack. She's 83 years old, but this woman acts half her age. She goes on trips, loves shopping, still goes snowmobiling every winter for crying out loud. She's saucy, mouthy, and opinionated. And I love her for it.

I grew up with my grandparents living right next door. They've been a daily part of my life for as long as I can remember. Anything I did... they have been there. And MomMom has always been my biggest champion. My God, she thinks the sun rises and sets in my sister and me. Every damn person she meets, she tells, "Did you know my granddaughter was Miss Maryland?" It used to embarass me, but I wish I could hear her say it now. I wish I could hear her say anything.

Things are not looking good for her. Her doctor says she has never seen a heart attack this serious, and so far MomMom isn't responding well to their efforts. Even if she would make it through this, which now seems like some kind of miracle, she probably won't be the same spunky, independent person she used to be.

Right now, what is killing me is that she is scared. She's been anxious and moving around too much so she is drugged and they even had to tie her hands down to keep her still and safe. But when you talk to her, she knows! She even tries to talk to you, despite the damn breathing tubes and her poor chapped lips. It hurts me so much to see her scared and upset.

My grandmother was so excited about this baby of mine... her first great grandchild. She was always asking me how I felt, how the baby was, when we were going to find out what it was so she could go shopping! :) I even found out she was already planning shower ideas. Just recently she told my mom, "The only thing I hope for is that I'm still here next May to see Kelly's baby." At 83, she knew she wasn't going to live forever, but that's what she really wanted.

Now, she may never get that chance.

And I... I am weeping and heartbroken.

Please... keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We need them.


11 Comments:

Blogger L Sass said...

What scary news... I'm thinking of you and hoping for a positive outcome.

Blogger Silly Hily said...

Oh Kelly. My gosh that hurts my heart. I am hurting for you because I have the same relationship with my grandmother and I realize she won't live forever and that she isn't getting any younger and I know something is going to happen someday and I'm not sure how I will deal with it.
I wish I could give you a big hug. I wish I could do something...say something. I will pray, pray, pray. And then I will pray some more. Promise.
Please...you know where to find me if there is anything at all I can do.
(Don't forget to take care of yourself too honey.)
Big hug.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband's grandparents were a daily part of his lives too. He lost his grandpa a few months ago and it was really hard for him.

Lets pray this. Lets believe that your MomMom recovers. Lets pray that her quality of life is tollerable for her. Shoot! Lets go ahead and believe that the God Of Abraham will heal your Grandmother and restore her health.

Jesus once healed a man through his friends faith and request. I pray today that same faith be transfered to you and your family. That healing takes place. That there is peace and understanding for your MomMom.

God bless -

Blogger Susan in va said...

I am so sorry, Kelly. I will certainly keep you in my prayers.

You and yours and definitely your Mommom are in my prayers. Please know that you have a tremendous support group here.

Blogger Lindsey said...

I know you don't even know me, but I saw a link on Hilary's site. I will say a prayer for you and your MomMom.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my make up done and came in here to read a few blogs. Now I have to go and redo my make up. I have the same kind of relationship with my Granny. I can't imagine what you must be going through. Be strong for her. Know that you have a lot of people praying for you. I am going to send my Granny an email and have her put your MomMom, you and your family on her prayer list as well. {Hugs}

Blogger Pamela said...

A Prayer for you and you MomMom right now. He hears them all.

Blogger liz said...

who doesn't love a saucy grandma? keeping you and your family in my thoughts...

Blogger M J said...

Oh Kelly! My heart is breaking for you and MomMom.. I hope she can make it through this, for you and your baby. I lost my dear Grandpa a couple years ago, and it still hurts. I hope you don't have to go through that right now.

Take care of yourself. You are in my prayers.

Blogger Shauna said...

Kelly, you ALL are in my thoughts and prayers. . .There are not words to comfort you, but I will be praying for you. . .

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer