Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
TV has its benefits.
Sunday morning. Zero dark thirty. I was driving to work in the wee hours of the morning, to anchor my station's weekend morning newscast. There was no one on the highway at this hour, so I set the cruise control and zoomed up the road.

All of a sudden I saw lights on the side of the road, and I knew I was screwed. It had to be a cop. Sure enough, the vehicle pulled out behind me and tracked me for a minute... then the flashers flipped on. Shit!

I pulled over and waited for the state trooper to make his way to my window. He leaned in really close, trying to get a whiff of my breath. I'm sure he thought I was some girl on her way home from a hard night of partying.

"What's the rush?" he asked. "Where ya headed?"

"I'm actually on my way to work," I replied. I know what you'll ask me next.

"To work? At this time on a Sunday morning?"

"Yes, sir. I'm a news anchor at the CBS affiliate. Running a little late to work, actually, and I have to anchor the news this morning."

He looked at me a little closer, disbelieving. I can't blame him. I know I didn't look like anyone fit for television. No makeup, sweatshirt, and my polar bear pajama pants. Did I even brush my hair yet?

"My suit and makeup are in the backseat," I said. "I can give you my business card to prove it!"

He smiled and said the sweetest words I have ever heard. "Don't worry about it. Just be safe and get back on the road. I'll just give you a verbal warning... don't want you to be late for your newscast!"

SCORE!

"The Pennsylvania State Police are the best! I'll make sure I give you a shout-out on the air!" I replied.

And I did. I thanked him, and the rest of his colleagues on the air that morning. Right after we aired a report about speeders in a local neighborhood. Hey, it was a good segue!

See, TV does have its perks!

p.s. I promise to get back to some of your burning questions in my next post. I haven't forgotten them!

EDITED TO ADD: i switched to Blogger Beta, which gives you a lot of cool customizing tools for your blog. However, one problem! Until they work out a few kinks, Beta users can't comment on regular blogs, and vice versa. However, when you click to comment, you can just click "Other" for your identity, and type in your name and copy your blogger URL into the website field. Or if you're feeling lazy, click anonymous and leave your name in the comment section. Apparently Blogger is fixing this problem soon (I hope). But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BLOGGER BETA! Click HERE to upgrade your blog!


8 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

You didn't even need to break out the fake crying! Lucky you. Do you do your own hair and makeup at the studio or does someone do it for you?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog...love it!

Great job on getting out of the ticket! I've gotten out of everyone except one (when a female officer pulled me over...ugh!).

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could use the "News Anchor" reason too...? Might work!

Thank you sooooo much for posting the tips to be able to comment. I have been banging my head on my monitor for days.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site does look incredible, however, I am still holding out. I refuse to switch until I know it won't eat my posts alive.

Congrats on getting out of the ticker.

Blogger Erika said...

I forgot to say, about the labels, you have to update your "Template" into a "Layout" first.

Blogger Silly Hily said...

I've been debating beta.
That rocks with the ticket. One of the Jazz instructors is preggo and "rolled" through a stop sign the other day and a cop caught her. She used the whole, LOOK, I'm preggo, need.to.peeeee. He let her go.
I never get out of tickets.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this story so much I dedicated a post in your honor...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome story, and a great way to get out of a ticket!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer