Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Two teeth! Oh my!
Oh, yes.... I do have a blog. Wouldn't you think that since I am now a work-at-home mom I might have a little more time to update here? But I've found it even more difficult to log on here and muse about our family's happenings. Perhaps that is due to some illness and some teething!

What does that tell you about my karma that Aiden would suddenly sprout two teeth at the same time as I am fighting off a nasty cold? For the past week or so I have been suffering from a nasty cough, which (stop reading now if you don't want to hear something gross) resulted in some gross phlegm and painful hacking in my lungs. Then this nasty cold decided to invade my nose and gave me nosebleeds for a few days. (Gosh, I hope you aren't eating while you read this. If so, my apologies!) I am just now feeling a little better, thank goodness!

During this time period, my little overachiever decided to cut not one, but TWO teeth! He's only 4 months old, but apparently his teeth are on the fast track. Both of his bottom teeth cut through, and they are quickly moving into position. It's adorable, but I haven't been able to get a good photo of it yet. Aiden was such a good boy, and handled the whole thing very well. He was a little cranky, but overall he did great!

Unfortunately, it seems he now has my cold. The poor baby is coughing a little, especially at night. It doesn't seem too bad, though, which the doctor attributes to my breastfeeding. I hope I've given him enough antibodies to help him avoid a bad cold!

Now, for some advice. Just wondering what you think about this situation... Aiden L-O-V-E-S to nurse. Almost too much. He doesn't demand to nurse all the time (on average it's about three hours between meals a day). The problem is, he refuses to go to sleep without nursing. Generally, if you put him down while he is awake he goes crazy and bellows. I've tried letting him cry it out, but I feel very uncomfortable about that, and even when I let him cry for 20 to 30 minutes he just cries more, rather than settling down.

My other problem is at night, with sleeping. Aiden very much prefers to sleep with us, which I don't really mind now that he's older and a sturdy 18 pounds. He'll sleep next to me all night without making a peep. But if he's in his crib, all of a sudden he's waking up numerous times crying and disoriented. I don't want to "spoil" him, but I really don't think you can spoil a baby this young. What do you think? Any advice? I'd love for him to sleep in his crib but I don't want to force him until he's ready and comfortable.

Speaking of sleep... I think I need to get to bed. Aiden's definitely sleeping with us tonight. With his cold, he's very attached and needy right now, and every.time.I.put.him.in.his.crib he's waking up screaming and coughing. No way will I push the "sleep in your own bed" issue tonight. He just wants to be with mama and nurse 'til he feels better.


6 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

oh wow. I guess I have it good. Does he take a bottle at all? Maybe switch to a bottle at bedtime? Does he nap in his crib? Do you have a mobile or a crib toy? I find that it's easier to get Maria down if she's not overtired when I put her down, and then turn on her crib toy. But she's also a thumb sucker, which I'm learning is the biggest help. good luck! And hope you're feeling better and enjoying your time at home with him now!

Blogger Kelly said...

Hey Jane... no, he doesn't usually take a bottle. He will, but he doesn't really like it. He naps in his crib, but nights are the issue. I wish he'd take a paci, but they always pop out of his mouth! :)

Blogger L Sass said...

I have no advice for you, since I'm the cluelessy childless type. But good luck--parenting means so many decisions!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe try different brands of pacis? Morgan always ditched most of her's and then I tried the Playtex one (I know...not a big help). It's made by orthodontists. That was the kind she preferred.

No real advice on the sleeping in the crib. Morgan was in her crib the first night we brought her home.

Sorry you've been sick--that's no fun anytime, but even worse when you have to take care of your kid(s).

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope you guys start feeling better soon!! i wish i could give you some advice, but i don't have kids yet so i'm not experienced. good luck though! i know other people going through those same issues.

Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Congrats on the teeth and sorry you're not feeling well.

Sounds like Aiden just hasn't learned how to put himself to sleep or to comfort himself if he wakes in the middle of the night. I agree with not using the "cry it out" thing. It's hard for a mom to do that.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I really don't. All I can say is, the longer you let him sleep with you and nurse to go to sleep, the harder it will be to change.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer