Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker
Sunday, August 26, 2007
working 9 to 5 (more like 8 to 7)
So we managed to get through my first day back on Friday. It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't easy, but I did it.

My sister Kasey arrived at my house around 8 am, when I needed to leave to get into work on time. She was running a little late due to an unexpected construction detour, so by the time she got there I pretty much had to make a speedy exit. In hindsight, that was probably a good thing, because I didn't have time for a prolonged goodbye. I just had to kiss Aiden and hand him over to her. Even so, I was in tears as I left and had to take some deep breaths to keep it together.

Thank goodness I have my mom and my sister taking care of Aiden right now. I don't think I would have been able to handle it otherwise. Leaving him was tough enough... but at least I knew he was home in a comfortable environment with people who love him dearly.

My mom came over later in the morning to help Kasey out, since we were anticipating that Aiden might have a tough day without me there and without being able to nurse. He actually did very well, and took three 4-oz bottles of pumped milk while I was gone. He'd had issues lately with accepting the bottle so that was a relief. Also, he took a few short naps and had fun hanging with his aunt and grandma. Frankly, I think he had a much nicer day than I did.

I felt like my whole day went by in a blur. So many people seemed excited to welcome me back, but I could hardly muster up any enthusiasm. I was so darn busy the whole day (they didn't really give me an easy day to ease back into things) and the added issue of pumping made things just crazy. It's hard to carve out three 20-minute blocks to go and pump (especially when you don't have a private office and there seems to be no place to get any privacy). By the time 5pm rolled around, when I had to anchor the news for an hour, I was exhausted. Thankfully I held it together and actually did a good job. My mom and sister were at home and they said Aiden watched me on TV... ha ha!

At 6 pm I finished anchoring and hit the road in about 4 seconds flat. I may have broken the speed limit the whole way home (which, I might add, is 45 minutes away from work). When I got home Jason had arrived and was waiting outside for me with Aiden. I grabbed him and started bawling and then got inside to nurse him. Ahh, finally home.

I did talk with my boss about my schedule. I informed them that I wasn't interested in staying in my current schedule and that the hours were not going to work for me. They still don't want me to go part time, though. I also mentioned that I would be interested in reporting for the morning news, which means I would have to be at work by 4 am, but I'd be home by 11:30 am to spend the rest of the day with Aiden. They said they'd consider that, but they really want me to keep anchoring the 5pm news. I was firm and said that unless I was part time, I would not continue to anchor because I can't put Aiden in daycare for 11 hours a day.

We have a meeting planned for Weds. and they are aware that I need an answer this week. I have no idea what they will come back with, or if the money they offer even makes it worth my while, but at least this will be resolved soon. And that means only a short time of being away from Aiden from 8 am to 7pm.

Not looking forward to this week. I think I'm going to be exhausted and sort of miserable but I can deal, knowing that it's just for the short term. I always hated Mondays but this one seems particularly distasteful! :)


Blogger Lucky Gem said...

I hope your boss has a good offer for you. I don't blame you for not wanting to be away from Aiden for 11 hours a day! I know he was happy to see you though!

Blogger janet said...

no matter what happens on Weds, you know that you tried, right! I'm glad you are sticking up for yourself.

Blogger Happy Working Mom said...

I know it's hard to believe, but it really does get easier! I had such a hard time with my first, but after a couple weeks it was a whole new routine. Then with my second it was a lot easier that first day back to work.

As for pumping? I completely sympothize with you! Finding the time is hard and I would always dread it as the time came for me to go and find and room and get to work. Hang in there...I can't wait to hear how your meeting goes!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the offer is good and you're able to do what you want. Sounds like Aiden did good with your Mom and sister...

Blogger L Sass said...

Ugh, what a challenging day. I'm glad you held firm and hope that your boss has a good offer for you!

Blogger Frema said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns. Can't wait to hear about what happens on Wednesday!

Blogger Jennifer said...

I hope the meeting goes well... the fact that they are willing to meet with you is a good sign! My former employer fired my friend for even ASKING to go part time (of course, they made up an 'official' reason so she couldn't sue them, but we all knew the real reason) GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous Katie said...

Good for you with being firm with your demands. Hopefully they will come through for you. It is great that you have family able to stay with Aiden in the mean time.

Blogger Rachel said...

You just gotta take it one day at a time. I hope that your bosses decide to work things out and you can work and be at home with Aiden.

Post a Comment

<< Home