Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker
Friday, December 16, 2005
I'm back!
Wow, been a while since I last posted. It's a combo of 1. Been busy busting my butt (lots of "b's" there) getting ready for Christmas. and 2. Not too much going on lately... at least nothing I guess you would wanna read.

So I haven't blogged much about my job yet... maybe I'll spend a few minutes on that. I mentioned that I work in TV as a news anchor and reporter... well this week I have been covering a trial, of this woman who was found murdered last summer. Basic story is, she was unmarried, about 4 months pregnant. Police arrested a man who they claimed was the baby's father. This guy is married with 2 kids, and police say he was having a fling with the victim, and killed her when she got pregnant. So I was at his trial all this week, where he's facing 1st degree murder and murder of an unborn child.

Sometimes I hate to cover stories like this. They are so sad, and I feel horrible having to ask the victim's family if they would like to comment. At the same time, it's fascinating to see how the court system works, and how evidence (ala CSI) can really make a difference.

Long story short... this guy screwed himself, because a friend of his volunteered to wear a body wire (hidden microphone) and talk to him. On that tape, we heard the defendant say, "I shot her in the back of the head. I shot her." But what really pissed me off was that this guy then decided to testify himself... and he says his FRIEND was the killer. Oh, and why did he then say on that tape "I shot her." Well he claims that he was a nervous wreck and upset about the whole thing, and he meant to say to the friend... "YOU shot her" but said "I" instead of "you." Yea right, buddy. Way to go... kill somebody, and then come up with that sorry lie to pin t on someone else.

Good news is, the jury convicted him on both counts of murder yesterday. I was so glad to see some kind of justice served.

On to more happy things I'd like to serve. I am baking Christmas cookies next week. Anyone have any great recipes? I'd love to have some new ones!


4 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

I am really jealous of your job! Sounds like it would be hard to ever get bored.

For cookie ideas, head over to a site called Domestic Goddess. She recently posted a whole bunch of cookie recipes (here is one link: http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/entries.php?entry=10159 but search around in the archives too)

Blogger AnnaBana said...

Mmmm...cookies sound so good right now!!
And what an interesting job. I can't imagine what it must feel like to sit in a courtroom and hear all that goes on in there. It's gotta be better than a Law and Order or CSI episode! Lucky you.

Oh, and hopefully that bastard is put away for a LONG TIME!!

Blogger Kelly said...

Thankfully, he got life in prison. The jury opted out of the death penalty b/c he has a 6 year old and 3 year old (with his wife).

It's a great job for seeing something different each day, but sometimes it's a little demoralizing when you have to watch and record some of the worst things about society.

I'm baking tomorrow night! Can't wait! :)

Blogger Ticket 4 Two said...

Man- sounds like a bastard. I'm glad he was convicted! I don't have any good cookie recipes, but I just got a fab recipe for pumpkin crumb cake. Mmmm.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer